We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Can cats eat spider plants?
I do not know what you mean by "do cats eat spider plants" because I do not think that cats eat plants at all.
But, spider plants do look attractive and even if they are toxic, I think a cat would not mind if it was fed spider plant leaves.
They are not poisonous if eaten.
Here is a link to the website of the University of California, Davis, that states this:
The plant is not poisonous to humans but can cause some ill effects to cats. In some cases, a cat may eat too much of the leaves and become intoxicated and, in rare cases, die.
The plants are not poisonous, so I wouldn't worry.
I don't know where you would find these, but I have seen cats and dogs (I think one was a spayed female, so I would assume spayed or neutered) eating small amounts of the leaves of some kind of vine and getting a greenish-blue tinge to the fur.
It depends what kind of spider plants.
Spider plants are plants that belong to the Araceae family. They are very toxic and have milky sap (saponin), so if you try to eat them, your mouth will get irritated (as I read somewhere on the web).
In the pictures, they look really attractive to cats, and I can imagine a cat enjoying the leaves.
But there are spider plants, that are poisonous, they belong to the Araceae family as well, but have different saponin: the most dangerous kind are the red saponin.
The "spider" plant is a completely different species, from another family. If you want to feed your cat the spider plants, just be careful.
From this article, there are several different types of Araceae, and from this one I think, you should keep an eye on what you are feeding your cat.
This is the only one you really should be worried about. From this site, it says that
The sap of most of the arum species contns a glycoside, named arumoside. This substance is a potent natural toxin. When applied to skin or mucous membranes, it causes an irritating rash similar to poison ivy. A few species of the genus (such as Dioscorea septica), contn a toxic saponin called dioscorin. This saponin, when eaten or applied directly to the skin, produces a severe dermatitis in humans and animals.
So if you want to feed it to your cat, please be careful. But it will be safe as long as you do not try to ingest it.
I think that cats eat these plants only if they are really attracted by them, but the sap can irritate their mouth.
From this article, it says that the sap is toxic as well, but not so much, because the sap contns the compound quercetin, which is a natural antioxidant and anti-bacterial compound. From this site, it says that, when eaten, the sap will not hurt a human at all.
So, my advice is to not worry, if you want to feed your cat spider plants.
Hope this helped!